Sunday, August 1, 2010

Operation Oasis: Downtime Needed

On occasion, or perhaps more than that, we sometimes don't want to learn anything new or drive a long way, we just want down time.  We want to relax, and, as if we're a battery, we want to recharge.
I just had such a weekend.  Last weekend I had a plumbing surprise and a power outage one right after another.  I went through a week of feeling inexplicably tired, which ended with a team mate's resignation at work on Friday.  By the time Saturday morning came, I was tired enough to let my loving cat Tigger coax me into mid-morning nap.  I still don't know how he knew that I needed it, but he did.
So that set the tone for this weekend, I would not explore, but recharge.  I chose to visit one of my old haunts, Marina Place in Alexandria, off George Washington highway, a skip & a jump from National Airport.  So why this place?  The marina really has something for everyone.  For the plane fanatic, you can watch planes take off and land at National Airport, and for the boat lover, you can watch sailors leave the marina and sail around.  The animal lover can feed the ducks in the Potomac, and if you're hungry, there is a snack bar and a restaurant right there.  Even if you're bicycling or jogging in the area, its a good spot to take a break.
When you want to recharge, you can bring a book, your sketch pad, or your needlework to this place, sit outside in the nice weather, and pursue your hobby in a spot that's always peaceful, always beautiful, and welcomes you during all hours and weather.  So I sat there with my book until the foreboding, rainy weather rolled in, and slowly left.  Some people were still sitting there when I left, with their baby, their dog, or their child.  And they, too, were just trying to get some rest before the new work week.

1 comment:

  1. Diana, how lovely. How wonderfully healthy. Sorry about the glitches in your week, but how sensible to take time to heal their effects, and how great to learn, again, about Marina Place. Many thanks for this information and for the cool light of reason that shows how to easily and productively take some downtime even while living hectic lives. Carol

    ReplyDelete